Meal Bus Routes
Update: March 25, 2020 - As many of you know, our CISD Child Nutrition and Transportation teams have been preparing and delivering meals twice a day via our regular bus routes since our school buildings have been closed. We know that many of our children depend on us for two meals a day and we will continue to deliver them to our Braves, however, we need to adjust our meal delivery from twice a day to one time per day based on the following factors:
- The Texas Department of Agriculture recently informed districts they have the flexibility to provide two meals at one time.
- There is a nation-wide shortage of personal protective equipment (PPE) which we are requiring our bus drivers and child nutrition staff to wear at all times. By reducing the meal deliveries to once per day, we will reduce our use of PPE items, such as gloves and masks.
- On Tuesday, March 24, 2020, Collin County issued a stay-at-home order for all non-essential travel. While the delivery of meals and instructional material is considered essential, we want to help limit the exposure of your children leaving home twice per day to receive meals, as well as our staff members who are currently traveling to work two times per day.
- We are seeing twice as many Braves picking up lunch then we see for breakfast. By providing each child that comes to the lunch meal pick-up with breakfast for the following day we will be providing more nutritious meals for our children.
What does this mean for you?
- Meals will be delivered twice per day as they have been on Thursday, March 26 and Friday, March 27.
- At the lunch delivery on Friday, March 27, children will receive two meals: one lunch and one breakfast for Monday.
- If your Brave has been receiving breakfast from the bus during the morning delivery, they will only need to meet the bus for the afternoon delivery beginning on Monday, March 30. They will receive a lunch meal and breakfast for the following day.
- Beginning on Monday, March 30, bus routes will deliver both meals at lunch only.
Other things we need your help with:
- Many of our meal stops have multiple children waiting for the bus. Please remind our Braves to keep 6 feet of distance between them while waiting for the bus and when approaching the bus to collect the meals.
- Beginning this week, our staff will be placing the bags of food and instructional items on the sidewalk, curb or driveway to limit contact and maintain appropriate social distancing. Once the items are placed down, the children may approach to pick them up.
- Remember, if a parent or student is ill, or if your family has been asked to self-quarantine, please do not attend one of the bus stop drop-off locations.
Update: On March 24, 2020, a stay-at-home order was issued for all persons in Collin County, except for travel related to essential activities. The delivery of meals and instructional material to our students is considered essential, so our breakfast and lunch bus route deliveries will continue!
During this challenging and unprecedented time, taking care of our students remains our greatest responsibility. We know that some of our children depend on us for basic necessities like meals. Beginning Wednesday, March 18th, Free Breakfast will be delivered beginning at 8 AM and lunches beginning at 11:30 AM on each calendar school day to students at each regular bus stop. (Use this Bus stop look-up link for meal times) IMPORTANT: the student MUST be present to accept the meal per USDA regulations. We are not allowed to give meals to adults without the student present unless the child is a special needs student.
Social Distancing Reminder: Our district is 89 square miles and many of our students are at home with no transportation to bring them to a remote campus feeding location. In order to ensure that our Braves have access to food, we decided to deliver meals to the students via our regular bus routes. Parents and community members, please help us remind students to maintain a distance of at least 6 feet from each other at the bus stop and not stand in groups. If a parent or student is ill, or if your family has been asked to self-quarantine, please do not attend one of the bus stop drop-off locations.