History of NeSmith Elementary
Phyllis NeSmith Elementary opened its doors to students on August 25th, 2008. Located at 801 Presidents Boulevard, NeSmith Elementary is situated in the rapidly growing area of Lavon. The school’s name recognizes Phyllis NeSmith, a former student and educator in Community ISD. An additional wing to the campus and a larger parking lot was completed in 2019.
Mrs. NeSmith was born to Gene and Mary Eubank at the Eubank Farm, north of Lavon in 1938. She attended Lavon Elementary from grades 1-8, Community High School for grades 9-12 and later graduated from North Texas State College. Mrs. NeSmith began student teaching in the Spring of 1959 at Freeman Elementary, part of Garland ISD. She taught 2nd grade for two years before moving to Beaver Elementary, also a part of Garland ISD, where she taught 3rd grade for the next nine years.
In 1970, Mrs. NeSmith returned to Community ISD and was employed by the district for 24 years. Upon retirement, Mrs. NeSmiith continued her involvement with CISD as a substitute and volunteer at the elementary schools. She dedicated her life to providing the best education possible to children in the community.
Each year, the staff and students are invited to eat a meal with the NeSmith family. This is a tradition that teachers and staff have enjoyed for many years. What a great way to start our year!