History of Community ISD
On July 28, 1947, the County School Trustees of Collin County, Texas passed an order grouping the Josephine ISD, Nevada School District, Lavon School District, Millwood School District, Mt. Piscah School District, and McMinn School District (Copeville School would join soon after) for the purpose of establishing and operating a rural high school. The District was named the Community Rural High School. The school opened with 235 students in 12 grades. There were nine graduates in the inaugural class of 1948:
- Billy Caldwell
- Lucille Cook Sedgwick
- Jane Davis Allen
- Aletha Ivy Hargrave
- James Lambert
- George McSpadden
- Peggy Petty Reagan
- Jeannie Smith Richie
- Carrie Juanita Renfro Bell
During the 2017-18 school year, we celebrated the 70th anniversary of CISD.
Check out a history of our mascot and logo here.
A special election was held on January 26, 1974 to convert Community Rural High School District to Community Independent School District. The proposition was approved by a vote of 68 for and 4 against.
Written during the District's Golden Anniversary year (1997-98), this facinating overview was submitted by Aletha Ivy Hargrave (Class of 1948), one of the nine seniors in the first graduating class of Community Rural High School. It is a first hand account of how the Seniors of '48 were given the honor of choosing the school song, mascot and colors.